Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Tolstoy and Nabokov

Two literary anniversaries are being celebrated: Tolstoy's WAR AND PEACE and Nabokov's LOLITA. Since I count these two books among my favorites -- they are, in my opinion, two of the best novels ever published -- I offer two articles via Arts & Letters. The first, Birth, death, balls and battles is from The Times Online. The second, The seduction, appeared in the Boston Globe.

I'm also a huge fan of the Kubrick adaptation of LOLITA, though it is so different from it source material I almost feel like I'm viewing an adaptation of a different, albeit similar, novel. Kubrick had to walk a tight line to make a film from so controversial a book. Despite the constant yapping from the left that only complete freedom produces art, it is clear that some of the best art is produced under restrictions, and often unfair ones at that.

But enough about the movies. If you have not read either novel, write the titles down on that list THINGS TO DO BEFORE I DIE.

Here, I'll get you started:

THINGS TO DO BEFORE I DIE

1) Read WAR AND PEACE

2) Start my own blog

3) Actually use that gym membership I paid for

4) Read LOLITA

5) Watch TEAM AMERICA: WORLD POLICE again

6) Stalk Ann Coulter (because she's really hot)

7) Have children (not necessarilly with Ann Coulter)

8) Never allow children to watch "The Wiggles"

9) Kick Michael Moore in the balls

10) Kick Michael Moore in the balls, again

You get the idea. Not necessarilly in that order.

The Greeks believed that the fully human person was both a man of intellect and a man of action. I think my list pretty much covers it.

What's your list?

2 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Blogger Conan said...

Holy Smoke some of my favorite ones too...Anne is hot but too tall and besides my wife might object. I want to shoot a .50 rifle, hopefully at a jihadi AND kick Moore to insensibility!

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Me!! said...

You may want to check this site out:

My wife saves alot of money using this thing. I love it!!!


Misspelledauctions.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home