Wednesday, February 15, 2006

What the hell is a "meme?"

I don't know, but evidently it involves answering a series of questions, each with four answers. Someone tagged Greg over at SHUSH, who gave some interesting answers. He concluded with...

"I'm supposed to tag four folks.... so that's you, you,... you over there, and hey you! No fair running away! Yeah I'm talking to YOU! You're IT!"

Okay, I'll bite.

4 JOBS I'VE HAD IN MY LIFE

Dock Worker ("My back!!")
Luggage Salesman ("And the carry-on matches your eyes.")
Travel Agent (why are people SO bitchy when they're planning their vacation?)
Rare Book Dealer(a fantastic job. I miss it. But there was no $ in it)

4 MOVIES I COULD WATCH OVER AND OVER

The Big Sleep (Bogart and Bacall)
The Third Man (Orson Welles ad-libbed one of the greatest lines ever)
Casablanca (play it again and again)
The Parent Trap (the remake. I'm sorry, but this film is adorable!)

4 PLACES I'VE LIVED

Ft. Worth, Texas
Detroit, Michigan
Los Angeles, California
Redlands, California

4 TV SHOWS I WATCH

24
The Shield (on FX)
Lost
American Idol (the early shows, where most everyone is a loser)

4 WEBSITES I VISIT DAILY

DRUDGE
Arts & Letters Daily
Cafe Hayek
LIBERTY BELLES

4 PLACES I'VE BEEN ON VACATION

Ireland
London
South of France (including Monacco)
San Bernadino Mountains (I want to live there!)

4 OF MY FAVORITE FOODS (assuming Single-Malt Scotch is NOT a food)

Green olives
Sushi
Center-cut tenderloin with horsehradish sauce
Warm spinach salad

4 PLACES I'D RATHER BE

Hunting for rare books in an antiquarian bookshop
An Irish pub
In my library (at home) reading (I don't get to do this much)
At Disneyland (Yeah, it's cheesy, but the look on my daughter's face...!)

4 ALBUMS I CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT

The Legend of Johnny Cash
The Goldberg Variations (Bach)
Alfred (the "opera") by Arne (Rule, Brittania, Brittania rule the waves...!)
Heavy Horses (Jethro Tull) (one of the few albums from youth I still love)

4 VEHICLES I HAVE OWNED

The Starsky and Hutch car (Ford Torino?)
One of those truck/car things popular in the 1970's
A Honda
Toyota Camry (my current, non-pimped-out ride)

Wow. When you list your life's CV this way, it's kind of depressing.

Am I supposed to tag someone? I tag Clara over at LIBERTY BELLES.

3 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Blogger Jacob Roth said...

Paul, I enjoyed reading your answers. I actually had my own online business while I was in college selling rare and used books. I agree - it IS fun, but alas, not enough to live on.

If you're interested, I have a number of used libertarian books that I'll trying to get rid of over the next year and a half before I go to law school - and I'm going to give them away at sub-Amazon prices. Rothbard's extremely rare "For a New Liberty" will be one of them. Sale will be probably be mentioned on Liberty Belles.

Keep up the good blogging!

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Paul Pennyfeather said...

jacob roth,

As it happens, I lost a box of books (in a move?) which contained a lot of my libertarian books. Very disapointing. So I'm in the market to repurchase them, though hopefully not at full price. Look forward to your sale.

Thanks for the kind words!

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Susan said...

I always wanted a Starsky and Hutch Torino. I used to try to draw pictures of them in the 7th grade. Lately, when talking about Torino, as in 2006 Olympics, and I mention the car, no one knows what it was until I mention Starsky & Hutch:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home