Saturday, September 02, 2006

The book meme

Only a fool would do this quiz after having consumed copious amounts of Saki, but here goes. After reading Christoper Blosser's picks at Against The Grain I feel compelled to subject the six readers of this blog to my selections.

So get out your Big Chief tablets and your crayons and write this down:

One book that changed your life:

The C.S Lewis Reader by C.S. Lewis.

I had abandoned my youthful atheism and was ripe for something to pour into that empty hole. Lewis' works were a bucket of cold water, both bracing and refreshing.

One book you've read more than once:

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh.

I Read it right after the above Lewis compilation. It continues to nourish with repeated readings.

One book you'd want on a desert island:

The largest collection of G. K. Chesterton I could find. If I could get Orthodoxy and The Man Who Was Thursday and Lepanto in the same volume, I'd be content. Except for being stranded on a desert island.

One book that made you laugh:

The DaVinci Code. It was supposed to be funny, right?

One book that made you cry:

The Blessing of a Broken Heart by Sherri Mandell.

Mandell's son, Koby, was 13 when he and a friend were murdered by Palestinians in Israel. Their brains were bashed in with rocks. Stinkin' Koranimals; may they rot in hell. Mandell is more forgiving than I am. She recounts her ordeal in dealing with the death of her child. It is inspiring and (oddly) uplifting.

One book that you wish had been written:

Lepanto: the model for winning the war on terrorism.

One book you wish had never been written:

Christ Among Us

A terrible and dishonest book that fabricates a multiplicity of Church teachings without the honesty of simple dissent. Sadly, this is used in Catechism classes in many parishes.

One book you're currently reading:

The Sisters: The Saga of the Mitford Family by Mary S. Lovell.

All the Mitford sisters were smart and beautiful. I admit to having retroactive crushes on every one of them. I have a special fondness for Nancy, because she ran a bookshop. And not just any bookshop, the Mayfair bookshop in London. But even Diana, who was the most hated woman in Britain after she married a Nazi, is attractive. I'm sorry, but it's true. Lovell's bio of these sisters is also a bio of English life before and after WWII. Not to be missed.

One book you've been meaning to read:

Upon reaching middle age, I promised myself I would read Dumas Malone's six volume biography of Thomas Jefferson before I die. I will soon begin the first one, Jefferson the Virginian, and hope to travel to Monticello next year, after which I will, hopefully, complete the others at a rate of one per year.

There you have it. Those who read this blog from a mental institution (you know who you are) may now begin your course of study, in the vain attempt at attaining my level of knowledge and study.

The rest of you can go back to your lives.

1 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Blogger mdoneil said...

It is 2-for-1 Li+ in medication line tonight!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home